Tuesday, June 18

Week Two, The Great Outdoors

Camp #2

LDC was able to secure a slot for G&G camp.

She was over the moon to be able to attend this top notch specialty overnight camp.

The head counselor is pictured on the far right.  Campers call him Grandpa.

Campers were able to learn new skills and interact with nature as they engaged in physical and social activities––and create memories that will last a lifetime.

In addition the head cook, Granise, had cookies, granola bars, candy, ice cream and according to the camper LDC- "really really good food" plentiful.
(THREE s'mores were allowed around the campfire. Scandalous.)

Campers created boats for the annual Lonesome Hollow Creek Race. Although no prizes were given out, from what I heard, bragging rights reign.
2024 Winner
N.I.C. 

Campers also enjoyed hilarious movie making and a plethora of selfies.

Now while G&G Camp was in session, I had registered for Momcation Camp...so off I went to....

The Great Smoky Mountain National Parks

For years I have had my eye on the Mt. LeConte (via Alum Cave) Trail.
(Exposed rock ledges, hand cables, and  "strenuous" aren't kid friendly thus the trail being on the back burner for so long.)

So before dawn I secured a parking spot at the popular trail head, pulled out the camping stove, made myself coffee and enjoyed breakfast as the sun started to rise. Once the sun greeted the mountains, up and up (and up and up) I went.

Rocking chairs are on the back porch!
A spot to change into new socks and only a wee bit farther to climb...

Mission accomplished
View from the Cliff Tops

What did I do when I arrived back to my camp site?
Crawled straight into the tent and took a 45 minute nap. Then soaked my knees in the icy cold Chasteen Creek while sipping a white wine spritzer.  Keep in mind, Momcation.

Next day.

My knees were still working just fine so headed to Newfoundland Gap to jump on the AT and delighted in following the white trail blazers.

(Didn't get to Maine though.)

Hmmmmmm
What would your thru hiking name be??


"Man has created some lovely dwellings- some soul-stirring literature.  He has done much to alleviate physical pain.  But he has not...created a substitute for a sunset, a grove of pines, the music of the winds, the dank smell of the deep forest, or the sky beauty of a wildflower." Harvey Broome, Naturalist

Wrapped up Momcation not walking but floating in a deep soaking tub.
y-e-s