Tuesday, June 14

No guidebook

"Whether it's potty training, involvement in sports, or academic excellence, parents sometimes struggle to find a delicate balance between setting high standards and pushing their children too far." -Karen LoBello

Right??

We wrapped up the city swim league in mid-May and started a club summer swim league.
So far I feel like I have been in mother-daughter therapy with this club summer swim league...
She loves practice but swim meets are a-whole-nother-story.

How do I get my kid to face her fears but not push her so far I stress her out and break her spirit?


Swim Meet #1
(FYI...which was almost an hour drive away from Aiken...one way)
No smiles, all tears.


Swim Meet #2
First event: All tears.  Refused to swim.
(Do they serve alcohol at swim meets?)

Second event: All tears but somehow she jumped off the starting block.
Rejoice.




Third event: LDC is sitting on starting block #1, cheering her friend on before her turn to get into the water.
She was ready and wanting to go.

Is this my child?
Yessssss
(Do they serve alcohol at swim meets?)
All smiles.
Through all the tears and snot she persevered.

AND so did I.

Whew.
June 13, 2016